Saturday, November 19, 2016

Summer


Summer, My Favorite!

After the change of Spring comes my personal favorite season, Summer!  During the Summer, there's no school, it's hot out, and the sun is out for as long as it can be!

There are so many great activities to do during Summer days.  One of my favorite things to do is to grab a book, some water, a snack, my chair, and head down to the beach.  I love to feel the warm rays of the sun, and feel the salty ocean air.
One of my favorite parts about Summer is the food!!  When it's hot out, people like to barbecue and cook as well as eat outside!  Some of my favorite foods to cook on the grill are burgers, salmon, chicken, and vegetables.  Another thing I like to do after enjoying a meal outside is to roast marshmallows on hot coals.  To roast a marshmallow, I take a long stick, put the marshmallow on the end of it and place it near the hot coals.  Sometimes you have to be really patient, other times the marshmallow will roast quickly.  I love how gooey the marshmallow becomes!

Vocabulary
1. barbecue: cooking on a barbecue.  Below is a picture of barbecue

2. grill: another word for barbecue
3. burgers: cooked patties of ground meat, usually topped with tomato, lettuce, and onion
4. marshmallows: sugary, dessert type food


Vocabulary Review
Use the vocabulary words above to complete the story.

        On Friday night I came home from work and wanted to __________________________.  First, I got together all of my ingredients.  I had ground meat, lettuce, tomato, onions, and jalapenos. I was super excited to make this ________________________ on the _____________________.  After I ate my delicious dinner, it was time for dessert.  I took out my fluffy __________________________ and placed a few on a stick to roast them. 

Parts of Speech
Adjectives: words that describe or modify a noun

Examples of adjectives in this blog are gooey, warm, salty, long, and hot.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Summer too! I think that the visuals that you provided throughout your post will be beneficial to English Language Learners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the visuals and vocabulary are good. What would you have your students do to reinforce the grammar point about adjectives?

    ReplyDelete